PCCF Home
Contact us PCCF Home Print Page
About the Foundation / Donor Opportunities /Planned Giving / Our Funds / Grants / Scholarships / Youth Philanthropy / Contact / Donate Now

> Funds Listing
   -Community Funds
   -General Benefit Funds
   -Animal Welfare Funds
   -Arts and Culture Funds
   -Cemetery Funds
   -Civic Need Funds
   -Economic Development Funds
   -Education Funds
   -Scholarship Funds
   -Environmental Funds
   -Health & Human Services Funds
   -Recreation Funds
   -Church & Spiritual Purpose Funds
   -Funds Established This Year

 

Repeat dots

Deer Creek Cemetery Endowment Fund

Year Founded

2000

Purpose of Fund
The primary purpose of the Fund shall be to provide income for the upkeep and maintenance of the historic Deer Creek Cemetery, Warren Township, and Putnam County, Indiana in perpetuity, as determined by the current board or its designee.

History of Fund

Deer Creek Cemetery is located on property owned by the Deer Creek Primitive Baptist Church which was constituted in 1823. Tragedy struck the Church congregation when Peter Cotton, a member of the Church, was killed by falling timber as volunteers were clearing the area for a new log meeting house. He was buried on the Church property and may have been the first person buried in the Cemetery. The smallpox epidemic of 1849 took a heavy toll on the members of the Church. Many grave markers in the Cemetery bear this date. The log meeting house building was replaced in 1867 by the present meeting house which still holds services today. An irony is that one tombstone is dated February 30, 1849.

Members of the church and interested parties have maintained the Cemetery throughout the years. In 2000, the Deer Creek Cemetery Endowment was started to help support the Cemetery financially for future generations. After the death of Bro. William Hurst and his wife, Helen, who took care of the Cemetery for many years, the Deer Creek Cemetery Board was formed to oversee the upkeep of the Cemetery.


CF Logo